• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Delicious in Dungeon (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote

Itsuzumi has partied up with the group in the hopes of removing the lycanthrope curse, but she's become too much of a cat in personality to properly cooperate with them. Not only that, she's not too different from an adolescent child with fussy eating habits. That said, she does point out some glaring paradoxes which Marcille in particular has to face up to as she's always been the member least amenable to Senshi's survivalist cooking with the local fauna.

A bit of her background is revealed as well: like many of Shurou's retainers she seems to be a guest in exchange for her services to the household. The cat-like agility she has combined with endurance and combat ability makes her a potentially useful asset to the main group, provided she can be motivated enough to actually work with them rather than stalking off to her own devices. The cat ears and short stature make her appealing enough for the other members to risk getting clawed if they can enjoy feeling her up and down, while Chilchuck needs more time to adjust to a lycanthrope who has no love for his species and is well disposed to reminding them of their stereotypes.

The cuisine is an eclectic mix this week. Chawan Mushi using this week's ice golem as a medium to distribute cooking heat using many leftover ingredients from the last few episodes is an interesting touch, while the "lamb placenta" from this week's bizarre lamb-budding plant ends up turned into chops tasting like crab meat. The latter is one chimera of a dish, but it's delicious enough even for the picky Itsuzumi so Marcille is forced to confront her own picky habits (she'll enjoy it the same way she got used to eating deep fried mandrake).

Standard template mixed in with exposition of the latest member to the entourage, so a holding episode as the main plot doesn't move much at all while the group recovers what's left of their belongings from the Red Dragon battlefield. At least they have a target in mind; the original aim of their expedition with the expanded cast was to find the gate with the runes and report back to the Island's lord with their findings, rather than actively hunt red dragons. I suppose that's the next significant story milestone, which they should be getting round to sooner or later.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:31 am Reply with quote

If I had to describe this episode, it would be the official start of the end-game for this adaptation. The arrival of the elves, their negotiation tactics with the mayor, Kabru's own past with the elves and his experience with labyrinths and so many other revelations packed into that small segment. It's a lot to absorb, but the takeaway is that the elves are making their move and the labyrinth's status quo will not last for much longer.

To Kabru's horror, the labyrinth's denizens are also making their move. Laios is the last person anyone wants to become king of the labyrinth as per the old king's legacy before he disintegrated, but that is what he likely has to become if he wants to preserve everything about the labyrinth that he loves (mainly having a source of edible monster grub and someone to cook it properly in Senshi). Sure he'll be able to save Falin as well if he defeats the mad mage and breaks the control curse over her, but he now has a lot of hopes riding on him especially after casual viewers discover the true identity of the wraiths which haunt the labyrinth (whom Laios could eventually see and converse with).

There's a paradox in this episode: Senshi says their cuisine is tasteless as the remaining immortal denizens have forgotten how to cook since they no longer need nourishment, yet the beer they crafted for over six centuries is highly rated by Chilchuck. I suppose if one follows the brewing method through sheer repetition, the flavour will be retained since the base ingredients don't deteriorate and the curse ensures stasis is the status quo. Cooking on the other hand needs the preparer to actually have a sense of taste in order to finish the task properly, which the denizens no longer possess.

There's the small matter of how Laios and company can leave their current location and head towards the mad mage. They have no idea where the current settlement is in terms of labyrinth spatial location, and there's no guarantee the wraiths will bring them back where they started. Easily resolved next week, and I'm expecting more surprises in store as the adaptation nears its climax.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Things are indeed heating up yet I have no idea how long the manga is so I find it hard to judge if the anime is close to reaching the end or not. It feels like entering end-game but if you were to tell me there is still half or more left I could believe it too. The more pressing question is if there will be a second season or not if the end is not near.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
We are, in fact, midway through volume 7 of 14. So this season seems to be aiming to end at roughly the halfway point.

I gotta assume there will be another season; the manga is complete and this exactly halfway pacing seems too deliberate otherwise. And the show certainly seems to be a hit...(At least from my corner of the internet.)

But there have been more baffling choices regarding what gets another season made, so who knows...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:52 am Reply with quote
I actually came to a realisation recently that I feel a little slow to have not made as apparently a lot of others have been thinking about it. Laios seems very likely to be on the autistic spectrum, this regarding his focus on special interests, and his trouble with social skills that a lot of people misunderstand him as less caring or thoughtful than he actually is. It kind of hit me why in some ways I feel like on the same wavelength for his character.

I love fantasy monsters too as an interest, and couldn't help but also think how cool a minotaur farm is, especially regarding a female one as few keep the more beastly full cow head for female versions. I think it was actually a couple weeks ago I was literally thinking the same thing. I was starting to wonder if not everyone is the same wavelength of monster fascination, of being the kind to read through and memorise monster manuals, as well as seeking expanded fantasy monster lore. And I literally yesterday bought two figures of a type of monster I particularly like (harpies).

Low key afraid that I am more like Laios than I might have thought. Actually, I happened to play D&D today, and I think that I might have started spouting off monster facts. Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:31 am Reply with quote
Ain't nonthing wrong with being like Laios, DP. In fact, one of the mysteries of the show to me is that a lot of characters have a negative impression of him which I really don't get. Yeah, he can be a little goofy and dense at times but he's always struck me as incredibly well-meaning, loyal and dependable.

Anyway, I was at Anime North last night (as I will again today and tomorrow) and I saw a girl cosplaying as Marcille. I really wanted to run up to her and say, "Marcille, I love you! But honestly, ya gotta stop with the black arts... it just won't end well if you don't." Fortunately for all concerned, I'm not a Laios type of guy, so I didn't.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:37 am Reply with quote

The adaptation never fails to throw a curveball when casual viewers least expect it. The first part is logical enough: the party resupplies and they ask for directions to continue with their quest. They get it, and unsurprisingly the wraiths are their ticket back to the labyrinth. What happens after that is also standard, since monster of the week is a feature of this series and we get a dish thrown in as well. It's the final part of the episode which throws the big surprise, as the adaptation has to resolve one of the series' biggest mysteries before it ends: Who exactly is Senshi?

Senshi can cook pancakes, but the remaining scion can't really taste them and instead can comment on the texture of the portions. Perhaps Senshi is right in that the immortal villagers can eventually regain their sense of taste with practice, but it's more likely they're never going to because of the way immortality works for them. They are also kept under close watch by the mad mage, with the wyvern familiars eventually reporting back and forcing the mage to reappear shortly afterwards. Good timing for Laios and company that they don't have to face the mage prematurely.

The gryphon is probably the strongest foe they've faced to date, but it's also an opportunity to thrown in the series signature comedy as Marcille and Laios argue over familiar physical design and we viewers get to laugh at the widely divergent viewpoints. Marcille wins this time round, but it's absurd just how aerodynamic a worm with butterfly wings can be when infused with magic. Laios promptly uses it to cook GM fish and chips (the familiar is effectively a sumo hotpot compressed into a small organic vessel) which prompts Chilchuck to broach the all-important question. He also does casual viewers a favour in summarising all of the points of interest which marked Senshi as a labyrinth resident.

Senshi's tale starts at the end of this episode, and I don't mind if it takes all of next week's. If he and his clan made a living in the depths and were the pioneer explorers of the original castle, then it stands to reason why he's so knowledgeable about the dungeon ecology as well as what ingredients are safe for food preparation. He has an uncharacteristic fear of gryphons, whereas he didn't flinch when fighting the arguably more lethal red dragon so there's trauma behind the fear. His story next week will most likely explain why. His past might also give Laios and company something to work with as they journey closer to their goal (the winged lion statue).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Senshi being terrified of the Griffin is a seriously surprising moment, because he has never shown near that amount of fear before to a monster. This is the same guy that thought he had befriended a kelpie, and didn't even show that it broke his heart a bit for it to be put down. Griffins are a classically dangerous monster, I was rather proud of a figure I painted a few years ago, Senshi's reaction is surprising compared to the dragon.

Also, loved Laios' reaction to the crappy familiars. Sheer disappointment possibly leaning to disgust of something failing so hard to be monster like.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:43 am Reply with quote
I am thoroughly enjoying this show and admire its creativity lavishly but you know what? I'm actually ready for a break from it which we'll get in two episodes. Appropriately enough for an anime where eating is an important element, I feel full... the kind of full you get from eating a delicious, satisfying meal.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:42 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, my depression sense is tingling, meaning that I expect Senshi's story not be a happy one in the slightest. I am happy to get to know more about the master chef, yet for him to have stayed in the dungeon for so long and to be so deadly afraid of a griffin.... yeah. Otherwise the gang got out of that village at just the right time, they will need all the help they can get to stand a chance against that mad mage.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm late to the party but I really like this show. I like how it's far more ambitious with its story than it seems at first. If this was just about cooking a different monster every week, I would have probably lost interest in it. It's a proper dungeon crawling story but there's not just a lot of world-building about the dungeon itself, but also about how it affects people outside of it including all kinds of interspecies politics and power struggles surrounding the dungeon. The world feels very carefully thought-out overall.

This is some good anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5